|5 Reasons You Shouldn’t For Sale by Owner
Posted: 18 Aug 2014 04:00 AM PDT
Some homeowners consider trying to sell their home on their own, known in the industry as a For Sale by Owner (FSBO). We think there are several reasons this might not be a good idea for the vast majority of sellers.
Here are five of our reasons:
1. There Are Too Many People to Negotiate WithHere is a list of some of the people with whom you must be prepared to negotiate if you decide to FSBO.
2. Exposure to Prospective PurchasersRecent studies have shown that 92% of buyers search online for a home. That is in comparison to only 28% looking at print newspaper ads. Most real estate agents have an extensive internet strategy to promote the sale of your home. Do you?
3. Actual Results also come from the InternetWhere do buyers find the home they actually purchased?
4. FSBOing has Become More and More DifficultThe paperwork involved in selling and buying a home has increased dramatically as industry disclosures and regulations have become mandatory. This is one of the reasons that the percentage of people FSBOing has dropped from 19% to 9% over the last 20+ years.
5. You Net More Money when Using an AgentMany homeowners believe that they will save the real estate commission by selling on their own. Realize that the main reason buyers look at FSBOs is because they also believe they can save the real commission. The seller and buyer can’t both save the same commission.
Studies have shown that the typical house sold by the homeowner sells for $184,000 while the typical house sold by an agent sells for $230,000. This doesn’t mean that an agent can get $46,000 more for your home as studies have shown that people are more likely to FSBO in markets with lower price points. However, it does show that selling on your own might not make sense.
Bottom LineBefore you decide to take on the challenges of selling your house on your own, sit with a real estate professional in your marketplace and see what they have to offer.
Agents: How do you present yourself as a Market Expert to your potential clients? Keeping Current Matters prepares you to discuss the current factors impacting real estate RIGHT NOW!
Start your 14-day free trial today to see the difference KCM can make.
Sotheby's International Realty is a registered trademark licensed to Sotheby's International Realty Affiliates LLC. Each Office Is Independently Owned and Operated. | © All Rights Reserved