|Why You Should Sell Your House Now
Posted: 15 Oct 2013 04:00 AM PDT
Many now realize that it is a great time to buy a home. It might also be an opportune time to sell your house. Here are the five reasons we believe now may be a perfect time to put your house on the market.
1. Demand Is HighThe most recent Existing Home Sales Reports by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) show a double digit percent increase in sales year-over year; sales have remained above last year’s levels for over 25 months. There are buyers out there right now and they are serious about purchasing.
2. Supply Is Beginning to IncreaseTotal housing inventory is again approaching historic norms of a 5 month supply compared with 4.3 months in January. Many expect inventory to continue to rise as 3.2 million homeowners escaped the shackles of negative equity in the last 12 months and an additional 1.9 million are expected to enter positive equity in the next 12 months. Selling now while demand is high and before supply increases may garner you your best price.
3. New Construction Is Coming BackOver the last several years, most homeowners selling their home did not have to compete with a new construction project around the block. As the market is recovering, more and more builders are jumping back in. These ‘shiny’ new homes will again become competition as they are an attractive alternative for many purchasers.
4. Interest Rates Will Again RiseAlthough Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey shows that interest rates for a 30-year mortgage have softened recently, most experts predict that they will begin to rise later this year. The Mortgage Bankers Association, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the National Association of Realtors are in unison projecting that rates will be up almost a full percentage point by this time next year.
Whether you are moving up or moving down, your housing expense will be more a year from now if a mortgage is necessary to purchase your next home.
5. It’s Time to Move On with Your LifeLook at the reason you are thinking about selling and decide whether it is worth waiting. Is the possibility of a few extra dollars more important than being with family; more important than your health; more important than having the freedom to go on with your life the way you think you should?
You already know the answers to the questions we just asked. You have the power to take back control of your situation by putting the house on the market today. The time may have come for you and your family to move on and start living the life you desire. That is what is truly important.
Sotheby's International Realty is a registered trademark licensed to Sotheby's International Realty Affiliates LLC. Each Office Is Independently Owned and Operated. | © All Rights Reserved